Directorate or Region
Pakistan, South Asia
SESSP EU funded project
Location of post
SESSP project office/ British Council office, Karachi
Contractual of services
Starting Salary PKR 146,500/-
Payband 6 equivalent
Project Manager SESSP
Duration of job
30 months (till May 2016)
Purpose of job
- Support the Project Manager in effective delivery of business support services for the project, ensuring that resources are efficiently and effectively deployed to support the project in meeting business objectives.
- Ensure effective administration of the project office for the length of the project.
- Support the Team Leader and Project Manager in office management and provide information and assurances for decision making.
- Analyse resource performance to ensure that it adds value to the delivery of objectives and to ensure that all risks, including security, health and safety and business continuity are identified, monitored, managed and controlled.
Context and environment
British Council requires an experienced Office Manager for a technical assistance project, the Sindh Education Sector Support Programme (SESSP). This is a 3.8 m Euros project funded by European Union, managed by a British Council led consortium working in close collaboration with the Government of the Sindh.
The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international organisation for educational and cultural relations with operations in over 100 countries, including a well-established operation of more than 60 years in Pakistan which will support this project.
We work with governments, donors, lenders and private sector clients to provide services tailored to their needs and have been managing development projects for over 40 years in 77 countries for major donor agencies such as the EU, DFID, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, overseas government departments and private sector clients. We are a valued partner in designing, managing and evaluating projects and programmes on behalf of such clients and our expertise, experience and worldwide networks help our partners achieve their goals.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Responsible for Administrative Systems and Procedures in the project office, including the project site management and maintenance of the IT system and associated office equipment.
- Develop the effective procurement plan in close coordination with the Project Manager and Team Leader and ensure the timely and effective project delivery.
- Lead on procurement for the Project while following EU and British Council procurement guidelines.
- Transport and vehicle management for the project office as well as during events and project activities.
- Pro-active maintenance of assets including premises, vehicles, generator, IT and office equipment, security systems. Includes maintenance of IT filing systems/documents to BC/EU standards e.g. naming/filing systems and ensuring documents are standardised to agreed templates.
- Relationship management with security, building, maintenance, logistics contractors and various other service providers.
- Manage the organisation of workshops, seminars, and study tours ensuring high quality customer services based on British Council Standards
- Security Management of the project office in liaison with British Council team
- Work in close coordination with Project Manager and Finance Manager in budget preparation, management and cost control.
- Managing inward and outward visits by consultants, delegations/stakeholders.
- Facilitate visa and travel arrangements for overseas staff and consultants in liaison with British Council Team.
- Managing the HR function for the project office; developing HR policy and processes in line with BC standards, managing recruitment, travel policy, leave etc.
- Support the Team Leader in general office Management as necessary
- Line management of driver and ensure that project team needs are met.
- Office management and administration to client and internal standards.
- Record keeping and information management.
Relationships with a broad range of contacts in
- British Council, Karachi, Islamabad and Manchester offices
- Landlord, maintenance contractors, security companies
- Technical Assistance Team SESSP
Other important requirements of the job
Travelling and work commitments during unsocial hours (including weekends) might be required to support the project.
Passport/visa and/or nationality requirement.
Pakistani National/ Right to work in Pakistan
Security or legal checks required for this role.
Security checks applicable to all staff
See The Behaviours Guide for details
The following behaviours will be assessed during interview and performance assessment:
Working together– essential
Making it happen – more demanding
Connecting with others – more demanding
Being Accountable- more demanding
The following behaviours will be assessed only during performance evaluation:
Shaping the future – essential
Creating a shared purpose- essential
Skills and Knowledge
See The Generic Skills Dictionary for details
Financial Planning and management (level 1)
- Risk Management
- Planning and forecasting
- Monitoring and reporting
Project & Contract Management (Level 2)
- Tendering and Procurement
- Business System and processes
- Managing Risk
Communication skills (Level 2)
Computing skills (Level 2)
(Good knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word)
Excellent comprehension and communication (verbal and written) in English
Business Management & development (L2)
1 year relevant experience in a reputed international or local organisation
Relevant work experience in a similar role in an international organisation
14 years of education
Are you interested in an international career where you can improve people’s lives?
Join our staff working to build trust and create opportunities in the UK and in more than 100 countries around the world.
We are looking for people who believe in the integrity and value of what we do. In return, we will support you to try new ideas, develop your skills, and think independently. You will be part of a rapidly changing organisation with global influence and impact.